Tuesday 22 October 2013

Learning -1 (FASHION FUTURES)

on the 30th of September, the first official day of studies, I got introduced to the unit handbook and details on the assessment.

It looks like, the actual research we're supposed to make, should be built around the technologies that would allow the sphere of fashion media production to step further to the future and develop the industry in general.
We had been given a task to get split into teams and make a short presentation about the new technologies that might be something very very important for the digital future of fashion.

Me and Raki, ex-classmates of the Grad Diploma Fashion Media Styling, felt comfortable getting to work together again. And we made a short presentation dedicated to digital prints,

a weekend before the class, the 5th of October, we sat down in a lounge of Central Saint Martins to talk, research and get to know more about the technology. I got fascinated by the idea of the holographic shows, including Burberry one, that Raki mentioned in the class. Being a huge fan of the brand, not only due to its' aesthetics but a really clever branding methods used by Christopher Bailey and Angela Ahrendts (ex-CEO, unfortunately, now), I got really impressed!

(but we thought that question requires a bigger research and a much deeper analysis and a longer presentation, so we dropped it out and made a presentation on digital prints technology)


outcome of the task
-presentation with Raki
-new knowledge on the different printing technologies
-3D printing basic information



_______________________________________________________

on the 7th of October  we had our short presentations

I really love those prints, I think they look much better in terms of the quality compared to those used by the brands who go for the original printing method.

But to me, even when we were researching a few days before, it was a real shock, that you can print out the shaped objects using the 3D design

And what a relief! We actually have got a nice studio where we could do that. I dropped an email, given to me by the technical team on the 3rd floor 3d scanning room, to Holly, but looks like her workshops will start later this year in November. Looking forward to get to hear from her again.




Goal and outcome: Aim to learn 3D scanning

_________________________________________________________________________________

14th of October
For that day, Thomas asked us to be ready to discuss our research ideas, what we want to write about in our assessment!
I enjoyed the class, because when I came there, I did have a good thought, indeed, but when I was there, I had a very complicated mix of ideas in my head, I wouldn't say that it's all super clear at this point but I would say the idea to join us in groups to discuss made it much easier for me, really.

I have been into the idea of art-direction and learning to get to know digital, plus, I have friends who do huge production for stage performances, including the gigs of Muse, for instance. And I've been curious to put my hands on something of that kind and also to satisfy my creative curiosity about the digital and branding and all those tricks used by Burberry to make a perfect customer's experience possible at their stores or events!

So I dropped a few words like 'installation', 'screens', 'set-designs', 'experience', 'events', 'fashion presentations'. And my lovely peers, Marta, Raki, Olya helped me to develop that chain of thoughts into the idea of exploring the possibilities of digital to make installations/presentations really engaging and interactive so that I could also suggest like a prototype as my practical work within this research.
We'll see what I can do.
Burberry Regent street store event- live streaming of the SS2013 show


Vitsoe installation at Dover Street Market, late 2012


OUTCOME:
a much clearer idea of what I should do this term and what my research's focus is.


_________________________________________________________________________________

21st of October
we needed to select a blog to discuss that day. no one knew how to follow a handbook, I did, but didn't get what it should be about, a globalization case study or a blog to be selected. Anyhow, we had something in mind.
I love blogs (but I think they're web-sites) some students selected, like VS magazine for instance, or Dazed Digital, indeed. But I thought to me it's more of a proper web-site rather than a blog. so I did show two street style type of blogs, from which Stockholm Streetstyle is a good one, and a blonde salad is a total tacky mess.

We also discussed some semiotitians, which I learnt from the last year's course and I really enjoy it. Especially Janice Miller's classes, those were really helpful last year.

________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment