Thursday 13 March 2014

Learning Journal- PHOTOGRAPHY


week 1
Tuesday, 7 January

It was an interesting session with Paul. I found it quite unusual to come to the photography class. Nilgin called me a few days before that and her guess was that i'd go for photography, not journalism. But to be fair, I had no idea at that point. Despite any prejudices I'd always had about my own abilities to take pictures, I went for it.
So the class was full of enthusiasts and 'lost' eyes. To me, the whole idea we were introduced to, 'every day and the epic' was so so interesting. But the format was so new, that I went home completely lost.

Friday, 10 January

We received a reminder we'd be blogging/instagramming/takings 'every day' pictures so that the best ones would be selected to be featured at i-D online. So, in a way i felt I had to start doing something..
That weekend I had been taking pics of myself, the details of my life, my sketches, people who I partied with.



One picture was selected though



week 2
Tuesday, 7 January

We had a more detailed introduction to the theme of our assessment. I really loved the session, as we were given references and ideas about the everyday and the epic. The idea can be epic and the format(as in, size for instance) and the styling can be epic, and so on. I remember Paul saying 'for some epic can be even a party'.




On the first lecture, we actually saw some documentary photography.

 I loved in particular, Juergen Teller's style. I mean I've always loved his style. And to me, a documentary photography, at least 'style' of lense and flash, etc.. everything can seem easier to a person like me, who doesn't have a camera. So i'd make a staged authentic looking photo shoot, that's what i thought...


Juergen Teller




We also were asked to take 'epic' pictures. But I gave up as I wanted to clarify to myself what I wanted to do. And it still was a bit complicated to understand how and what I would do.

week 3
Friday, 17 January

We went to V&A. I didn't go earlier as I did see the Club to Catwalk exhibition in september, so I went at noon. We checked the printing place, and saw a selection of original pictures from different times.

week 4
Tuesday, 29 January

I had a presentation ready for the day, wanted to explain my concept.
So far, I knew few things:
I wanted to be a photographer and a stylist for my project. Because that'd be a chance to learn/ practise doing that.
I knew I'd have my friend's camera for that.
The closest to the theme of epic that I had time and inspiration to think about (too many essays and work altogether, it was a very stressful time for me) was parties. and rock' n' roll. Because I know a lot of music industry people so I started negotiating with them, and got some saying 'yes' and that day I came with a presentation and a few works I'd find inspiring to that theme.
The epic, to me, would be how to some rock'n'roll and musicians are epic, but I wanted to show the every day. From backstage to a staged afterparty with models. I'd style it in a 70's vibe, so it'd look more interesting. and use filters.


Similar shoots


+ there'd be the band members


However, the idea didn't seem clear to Paul, and I got asked questions that I couldn't answer myself. I could see, that probably my understanding of epic is something not everyone'd be excited about. So it made me think harder on the idea.

Week 5, 6, 7

These weeks I was struggling between researching on any other subjects I loved.. and making this idea work still. By the 7th week I realised I had no more time left, especially with the fact that the band members went on tour or delayed confirming times.. And I didn't feel as inspired to do it anymore.
Plus, the magazines I pitched it to , never got back to me on that. So I felt more or less sure I'd think of something else and really quickly..

Week 8
Monday, 24 February

I agreed to shoot the editorial on friday with a model I love. Asked my friend who photographs to assist me with the flash, etc. And contacted the designers.
Actually, I noticed a trend nowadays, and came across so many things following that idea, that I thought a real hand-made collage is something i'd wanna try and do with the photographs. That way, being unconfident about the results of my first ever photographs taken with a model, I made sure I can actually do something with that either way. Because I used to do fine arts, and I like drawing and painting. 

References and mood





The pictures above are both classic and contemporary, plus Picasso.
I thought it is very interesting how you can play with these things and paint, and use glitter, and materials.. something i'd have to ask to do in photoshop.
But i wanted to create a crazy world in my photo shoot.. 
I also got inspired by Mighty Boosh and Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy outfits, works of Alexandra Moon-age, psychedelic posters of the 70's, Hannah Hoch.

I also loved the Connan Mockassin's costumes in Forever Dolphin Love video..
I was thinking of repeating the effect in post production (hand painting over the photos)
But we managed to do the Picasso-effect (how i called it) in make up..

Here's a call sheet..


Friday, 28 February
We had a lovely shoot, and I amazed myself. I started doubting if i wanted to collage it, because it looked so cool. I was so happy and proud of myself.. It's definitely easier to take pictures yourself sometimes. as a stylist, i've always had these thoughts but been afraid to develop them.
However, the next day I started thinking, selecting pics, editing, and thinking of collage ideas.

Week 9
Tuesday, 4 March
I already had some shots hand-collaged.. I felt so inspired and interested. Still, if you already have some works, it takes a while to think of stuff that'd go along with them in an editorial. 
So that's what I am currently doing and it's almost ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment